What you eat decides how well you age. Food provides many things other than energy- it helps you safeguard against diseases and makes you look younger.
The Best Plan to Eat Right
A healthy diet meal for men includes:
- 2 cups of fruits and 2 ½ cups of colorful vegetables every day for vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Eat at least half the grains as whole grains every day. Choose nutritious whole-grain bread, cereal, pasta, brown rice or oats instead of refined grains.
- A minimal of two to three servings of fish per week.
- Fiber is indispensable and must be consumed without fail. The recommended servings include 38 grams/day for younger men and 30 grams/day for men older than 50 years.
- Replacing saturated fat (full-fat dairy foods, butter, high-fat sweets) consumption with unsaturated fat products (oils, nuts, avocados)
- Potassium intake of 4,700 milligrams from fruits, vegetables, fish and milk.
Men need higher calories than women due to their different physique. Moderately active men should consume 2,000 to 2,800 calories every day depending on their height, weight and activity level. Men should eat more fiber to help them manage hunger, keep them full for longer time periods and stay away from certain cancers, especially prostate and colon.
Red Meat is Masculine
Young men assume that increased protein intake can help then build strong muscles rapidly. Hence, they eat more meat without exercising much. Protein facts and its use in muscle building given at www.firsteatright.com helps to break this myth. Men consider red meat to be more masculine than other proteins and this view prompts them to “order the steak.” Such increased meat consumption can lead to heart disease and colorectal cancer in men. It is not the steak that makes the food unhealthy, but the missing whole grains and vegetables.
Replace red meat with more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products. These foods help to maintain blood pressure levels and healthy weight too.
Waist Circumference Counts!
Male hormones, testosterone, are responsible for increased weight gain around the middle. A waist measurement greater than 40 inches indicates that its high time to lose some extra kilograms. Increased waist measurements are always dangerous as the fat around the waist is buried deep in the abdomen and increases the chances of diabetes, heart disease and dementia.