Age is just a number. You may feel fit and young at heart even at the age of 70 while someone in his/her 30s may feel aged due to health conditions and a depressed mind. Following healthy habits can make you feel strong and active as you age. Even if you have never been following any health routines till now, it is never too later to improve your health. The checklist given below can help older adults look good, feel good and stay young at heart in the years to come.
- Kickstart your day with a wholesome breakfast.
- Eat nutritious foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, poultry, eggs, beans, nuts, seeds and low-fat dairy products from all five food groups.
- Go for a walk, play with your grandchildren, play a game of tennis or swim laps. Overall, ensure that you get at least 150 minutes of aerobic exercise every week.
- Thirst quotient decreases with age. Still, ensure that you drink fluids throughout the day.
- Involve yourself in some muscle-strengthening exercise at least twice a week. It can be your regular activities like mowing the grass, climbing the stairs, gardening, raking leaves or lifting moderate weights.
- Never become a couch potato giving old age as a lame excuse for it. Stand up every now and then, move around and chat with your loved ones.
- Do yoga and simple stretches to keep your mind and body calm, composed and relaxed.
- Cut down on sugars, salt and alcohol. Drink fat-free milk instead of soda, season foods with herbs to cut down on salt content and have a home-prepared mocktail with some ice to restrict alcohol consumption.
- Consult your health care provider for any problems such as decreased appetite, difficulty swallowing or chewing, or loss of interest in food.
- Sleep well. Keep your mind calm by having good times with your close circle of people, going for a stroll, doing meditation or involving yourself in any activity of your choice.
Old age does not mean that you ought to have health problems. Leading a healthy lifestyle can keep you fit devoid of serious problems. If you want to plan a healthy diet that includes your favorite foods, connect with a registered dietitian nutritionist at www.firsteatright.com. These RDNs cater to your health problems as well and can help you plan a diet accordingly.